In the early years, PPG produced only flat glass. It marketed, but did not produce window glass or flat glass. In 1907, however, the first window glass factory began operations in Mount Vernon, Ohio. In 1915, a second plant was opened in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Pitcairn`s keen interest in innovation and diversification led to the opening of the company`s first research and development centre in 1910. In 1990, the company acquired its partners` shares (two-thirds did not yet own PPG) in Silenka B.V., a Dutch fibre manufacturer, thus strengthening its already strong position in the European fibre optic market. Dempsey retired in late 1997 when PPG was booming and oversaw an orderly succession to management. In December 1995, Executive Vice President Raymond W. M. LeBoeuf, who joined the company in 1980 as treasurer, is president and chief operating officer. LeBoeuf succeeded Dempsey as CEO in July 1997 and President in November 1997.
In 2008, PPG renamed its automotive glass division PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) and sold much of it to Kohlberg & Company. PPG held 40% of PGW`s shares until March 2016, when they sold their stake to auto parts salvage company LKQ Corporation.   Always looking for diversification, PPG began using limestone screening, a waste of soda, to make Portland cement in 1923. During the Great Depression, PPG developed new color and glass products. In the 1930s, the company developed titanium dioxide pigments that significantly increased the opacity of light colors. He also created a quick-drying wall leather flat paint, which allowed two coats of paint to be applied in one day. In 1934, PPG introduced Solex heat-absorbing glass. Also in 1934, she developed a glass bending technique that facilitated the production of car windshields. In 1938, PPG herculite introduced tempered glass.
Herculite glass was several times stronger and more unbreakable than ordinary flat glass. The company was founded in 1883 as the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company, at a time when European manufacturers had a virtual monopoly on flat glass production, and that year it built the first commercially successful flat glass plant in the United States, in Creighton, Pennsylvania. By 1900, the company had become the largest manufacturer of flat glass in the United States, and technological innovations had helped make it a major manufacturer of window and automobile glass by the late 1920s. The company also began producing automotive paints, developing the first latex-based interior paints in the 1950s, and began producing fiberglass. In September 1993, PPG`s board of directors surprised many when, for the first time in the company`s history, it appointed an outsider, Jerry E. Dempsey, as president and chief executive officer to replace Sarni who had resigned. The Board of Directors was obviously of the opinion that none of the internal candidates were willing to take over the management torch. An engineer by training, Mr. Dempsey served as President and Chief Operating Officer of auto parts manufacturer Borg-Warner Corp.
from 1979 to 1984 before heading chemical waste management. Meanwhile, in 1993, the company decided to sell its Biomedical Systems division. This non-core business was fully divested in January 1995. This left PPG behind with its three main segments: coatings and resins, glass and chemicals. By 1955, PPG`s revenue exceeded $500 million. The company employed 33,000 people in seven glass plants, three glass plants, two specialized plants, two fiberglass plants, 17 coating and resin plants and five chemical plants. In the early 1960s, PPG produced materials for the construction, transportation, appliances, containers, boats, textile, paper, television, and chemical industries. In 1963, it became the first American company to manufacture float glass, which is used by architects instead of flat glass. That same year, PPG introduced Herculite K, a glass three to five times more unbreakable than regular window glass. Herculite K has become popular due to its low cost of storm residential units and sliding doors. The decline in the U.S.
automotive and construction markets in the late 1980s impacted PPG`s sales. Automakers were PPG`s biggest customers, and fluctuations in that market hurt the company`s profits. In 1989, the company`s profits fell one percent, breaking a six-year upward trend. Nevertheless, Vincent A. Sarni, who became president in 1984 and CEO in 1983, estimated that PPG was making progress toward its goals for the ten-year period from 1985 to 1994. On February 26, 1990, Barron`s stated that «the Company is consistently ahead of its goal of achieving an average annual return on equity of 18%.» Sarni believed that even without acquisitions, PPG would reach a target annual revenue of $8 billion by 1994. 1898 The company develops a thinner glass production process using the plate process, thus expanding the application possibilities of high-quality glass. By the end of the century, flat glass production capacity will reach more than 20 million square feet per year, far surpassing that of any U.S. competitor. Recently, the company also launched an offer to acquire Dutch paint manufacturer AkzoNobel. Multiple attempts to take control of PPG were unsuccessful, and the company has since pulled out of the effort — at least for now.
PPG grew rapidly. By 1900, known as the «Glass Trust», it included 10 works, held a 65% share in the United States. The flat glass market and had become the second largest paint manufacturer in the country.  Today, known as PPG Industries, the company is a multi-billion dollar Fortune 500 company with 150 manufacturing facilities around the world. It now produces coatings, glass, fiberglass and other chemicals.  In 2007, the company was involved in a lawsuit for failing to disclose a reduction in purchases of its two major automotive glass customers.  In September 1993, PPG`s Board of Directors surprised many when, for the first time in the company`s history, it appointed an outsider, Jerry E. Dempsey, as President and Chief Executive Officer to replace Sarni who had resigned.
1898 The company develops a thinner glass production process using the plate process, thus expanding the application possibilities of high-quality glass. In recent history, however, PPG has focused its business on paints and coatings, which now account for more than 90 percent of the company`s revenue. The company has a vision for its future by patenting the CR-39 monomer and beginning a journey to develop a successful line of optical products (which will later include transition lenses). Pitcairn became president of PPG and founded the Columbia Chemical Company in Barbeton, Ohio in 1899. This independent company produced soda, an important raw material for the production of glass. This plant was a precursor to PPG`s chemical group. The following year, PPG was selling 13 million square feet of flat glass annually and had become the most successful flat glass manufacturer in the country. In 1924, PPG produced its first automotive paint, which the company marketed only in a limited number of conservative colors. By 1929, PPG had supplied «no less than 500 harmonious hues» to 40 automobile manufacturers. The company had also begun using a durable, quick-drying finish developed by the Ditzler Color Company, a subsidiary acquired in 1928.
Our editors will review what you have submitted and decide if the article needs to be revised. In 1924, the company switched from the batch method for the production of flat glass to the tape method. PPG Industries, Inc. is a global manufacturer of flat glass, fiberglass, glass, coatings and resin manufacturers, as well as industrial and specialty chemicals. The company is a world leader in the production of flat glass, the second largest manufacturer of continuous strand glass fibers and the world`s largest manufacturer of automotive and industrial coatings as well as optical resins. PPG is a leading supplier of products for manufacturing, construction, automotive, chemical processing and many other industries.